Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Grandma Incident


Ok, I know. You're getting sick of all the blog posts about Maggie. But I made a pact with myself. Every post this week is going to be about my late, great dog. I think it's a fitting tribute. No, I'm not overcome with sorrow anymore. I'm fine. But I just want to share a few more stories about our old lady. Eventually we're going to put them all in a book, along with some pictures of Maggie Moo.

Today's story is about Maggie and my Grandma.

The facts are in dispute.

I say Maggie bit my Grandma Gardner on the chin within the first five seconds of their first encounter. Taunia says it was a gentle, unintentional nick.

It was in 2005, just a few months after Taunia and I had moved to our new house in Westminster, Colorado. My Grandma and Aunt Kris were coming over to Denver together for the first time since our arrival. We hadn't seen my Grandma in months... and we were very excited.

Grandma was excited, too. She'd never met Maggie, and she'd heard so much about the ol' Dalmatian. Granny is a dog lover. My mom, who'd talked to Grandma on the phone earlier, said "be sure to give my Grand-puppy a big hug."

My Grandma took that literally. She walked in the door, bent over, and reached out to Maggie for a hug. Maggie, ever the witchy grump, didn't know what to think... so she narrowly opened her jowls and greeted Granny with an open-mouth kiss... with teeth. Those teeth grazed my Granny's chin, and drew blood. A tiny little gash appeared right below the lips.

Grandma was fine, I was embarrased. And once again, Maggie made an impression. A dental impression.

No comments: