
The Wichita Eagle says President and general manager Al Buch is making changes at KSN, Channel 3, in an effort to bring a little more soul back to the station.
"We're not going to do the same old stuff," he says. "We're just not going to do it."
Changes include Anita Cochran returning to solo anchoring part of the time and the station's weather reports eventually moving out of Exploration Place.
During his first stint running the station -- Buch was fired from the job in 2002 and rehired this year -- Buch made the agreement to broadcast weather out of Exploration Place.
Weather will return to the KSN building at Eighth and Main sometime next year. "I can tell you, we'll never totally leave Exploration Place unless they invite us to," Buch says. "We're considering options."
He's renaming the 6 p.m. newscast Kansas Nightly News to match NBC Nightly News.
"It'll have a similar feel," he says of longer stories like those NBC does. Cochran will anchor that newscast by herself.
"Personally, I don't see any real magic in co-anchors," Buch says. "I'm tired of consultants saying you have to have co-anchors come hell or high water." He's told his consultants that their services are no longer needed.
"Five o'clock will become more of a remote broadcast," Buch says. Anchor Paul Petitte will be in the field a lot. He and Cochran will anchor together at 10 p.m.
Buch is focusing on KSN's Web site as well. "All of these changes are designed to put what I call the soul back in the station," he says. "We'll be back to where we were before I was kicked out of town."

No comments:
Post a Comment